You may have heard that it’s dangerous to sit in a car with the engine running in a closed garage, but is that really the case? Can you actually die from sitting in a car in the garage? In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at the dangers of sitting in a car with the engine running and whether or not it’s possible to die from doing so. Keep reading to learn more!
What You'll Learn Today
- Can You Die From Sitting in a Car in the Garage?
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: What Is It?
- What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
- What To Do if You Experience Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
- Add More Ventilation
- Leave the Door Open
- Will an Exhaust Fan Help?
- If I Seal the Garage Wall Will It Keep Carbon Monoxide Out?
- How Long Does it Take to Get Rid of Carbon Monoxide From the Garage?
- Install a Carbon Monoxide Sensor
- Don’t Run Your Vehicle in the Garage
- How Can You Safely Warm Up Your Car?
- How Long Can You Sit in a Running Car in the Garage?
Can You Die From Sitting in a Car in the Garage?
Many people are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, but they may not realize that it can happen in their own homes. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when fuel is burned. If there is not enough ventilation, the gas can build up to dangerous levels.
Unfortunately, this often occurs in garages, where people may leave their cars running while they work on them. The exhaust from the car can quickly fill the garage, and inhaling the fumes can be deadly.
In fact, sitting in a car in a closed garage is one of the most common ways that people die from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fortunately, there are ways to prevent this from happening.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: What Is It?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. It is produced whenever any fuel is burned. In the home, sources of carbon monoxide include wood-burning fireplaces, space heaters, furnaces, and water heaters.
Carbon monoxide can also build up in the garage if a car is left running with the garage door closed. When inhaled, carbon monoxide prevents the blood from carrying oxygen to the body’s tissues and organs.
What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. If you suspect that you or someone else has been poisoned by carbon monoxide, it is important to get fresh air immediately and to call for medical help.
What To Do if You Experience Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
If you think you may be experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and remove yourself from the source of the exposure. If you are in a garage, for example, open the garage door and leave the area.
Once you are in a safe environment, call poison control or 911. If someone is with you who is also experiencing symptoms, have them stay on the line with the operator while you go outside to get fresh air.
If you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, it is important to avoid using any electronics or appliances that may produce heat or flames, as these can make your symptoms worse. Seek medical attention even if your symptoms seem mild, as carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.
Add More Ventilation
Garages are particularly susceptible to high levels of carbon monoxide, as many cars emit the gas while running. In order to reduce the risk of poisoning, it is important to ensure that your garage is properly ventilated.
Leave the Door Open
Garage doors should be left open when cars are running, and people should never start their cars in an enclosed space.
Will an Exhaust Fan Help?
An exhaust fan can help to ventilate the garage and prevent carbon monoxide from reaching dangerous levels. By drawing air out of the garage, the fan helps to create a flow of fresh air that can help to dilute and disperse the carbon monoxide.
In addition, the fan will also help to remove other fumes and airborne particles that can build up in the garage.
If I Seal the Garage Wall Will It Keep Carbon Monoxide Out?
If you have a garage, it’s important to make sure that it’s properly sealed in order to prevent carbon monoxide from entering your home. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly if inhaled in large quantities.
While sealing the garage won’t completely eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide exposure, it will help to reduce it. To seal the garage, make sure that all cracks and gaps are properly filled.
You should also check the garage door to ensure that it fits snugly against the frame. By taking these simple steps, you can help to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.
How Long Does it Take to Get Rid of Carbon Monoxide From the Garage?
Cars generate carbon monoxide when they are running. If the garage is not well ventilated, the gas can build up to dangerous levels. To remove carbon monoxide from the garage, open the garage door to let fresh air in.
Turn on a fan to help circulate the air. Leave the garage for at least 15 minutes before going back in. If the garage is attached to the house, leave the house as well.
Install a Carbon Monoxide Sensor
One simple way to protect yourself and your family is to install a carbon monoxide sensor in your garage. These devices are designed to sound an alarm when high levels of carbon monoxide are detected, giving you time to ventilate the space and avoid serious health consequences.
With a carbon monoxide sensor in your garage, you can have peace of mind knowing that you are doing everything possible to keep your family safe.
Here’s a video with more information about how these devices work:
Don’t Run Your Vehicle in the Garage
Many people are not aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. This gas is produced whenever fossil fuels are burned, and it can be deadly if inhaled in high concentrations.
Unfortunately, running a car in an enclosed garage is a common way for people to be exposed to carbon monoxide. The gas can build up quickly in the garage, and it can be difficult to ventilate the space properly. As a result, people who run their vehicles in the garage are at risk of inhaling dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
The best way to avoid this problem is to keep your car out of the garage altogether. If you must drive in the garage, make sure that the space is well-ventilated and that you do not spend too much time idling in the space.
How Can You Safely Warm Up Your Car?
Before you head out on a cold winter morning, you may be tempted to let your car run for a few minutes to warm it up. However, this can be a dangerous practice, as it can lead to carbon monoxide buildup in your garage.
If you must warm up your car, do so outside and make sure that your garage is well-ventilated. You can also invest in a remote starter, which will allow you to start your car from the comfort of your home. That way, you can wait until your car is fully warmed up before stepping inside.
How Long Can You Sit in a Running Car in the Garage?
Most people know that it’s dangerous to sit in a running car with the garage door closed. The fumes from the engine can build up and cause carbon monoxide poisoning. But how long does it take for the level of carbon monoxide to become dangerous?
The answer depends on a number of factors, including the size of the garage and the type of car. In general, however, it only takes a few minutes for the level of carbon monoxide to reach lethal levels in a small garage
While it’s not possible to die from sitting in a car in the garage, the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning should not be taken lightly. Make sure you have a functional carbon monoxide detector in your home and know how to use it.
If you ever suspect that you or someone else has been exposed to carbon monoxide, get out of the house immediately and call 911.
And most of all, know that while sitting in a car in the garage is not inherently dangerous, sitting in a running car in a garage is. Avoid doing this at all costs – and stay safe!