It doesn’t take much for a garage to become stacked to the rafters with all sorts of things that you plan to use someday. It’s handy to have a place for miscellaneous junk, but there are a lot of disadvantages to this situation. For one thing, once you put things into the garage for later, they quickly get swallowed up by the rest of the clutter so that you can’t find them when you need them or forget about them altogether.
Aside from that, a cluttered garage is a safety and fire hazard and a potential home for pests, such as rats, mice, chipmunks and bugs of all sorts. In this article, we discuss why and how to clean your garage. Read on to learn more.
Top Benefits Of Keeping A Clean Garage
1. You Can Park Your Car In Safety
Although many people park on the street or in the driveway, the fact is there’s a lot to be said for parking your car in the garage. A garaged car is safe from vandalism, theft and the weather.
You won’t have to warm your car up on cold days if you park it in the garage. You won’t have to scrape off snow and ice. If you’ve been parking your car outdoors because your garage is too full of junk, you and your car will surely enjoy the benefits of a clean garage.
2. You’ll Have Space To Do More In Your Clean Garage
Once you sort through all your clutter, get rid of the dross and organize the essentials, you’ll find that you have open space where you can do all sorts of things, such as:
- Arts & Crafts
- Car Repair
You might also decide to install a mud room and/or a laundry room. Your imagination is the only limit when it comes to turning unused space into usable space in your garage.
3. You’ll Be Able To Find Your Treasures In A Clean Garage
If you get your garage organized and keep it that way, you’ll be able to find those things you thought you might need someday (as opposed to going out and buying a new one because you can‘t find the one you know you have somewhere!)
Furthermore, when you want to quickly grab a power tool or a step ladder or some-such to take care of a small chore, you won’t have to spend more time looking for it than you will doing the chore.
4. A Clean Garage Doesn’t Provide Hiding Spaces
A garage full of clutter has lots of sheltered nooks and crannies where rodents can hide food and build nests. Insects and spiders will happily make their homes in the privacy of your clutter.
Clutter will keep you from seeing gaps and holes in the walls and ceilings, and you may even end up with birds getting in and making nests in your rafters.
When you clean your garage thoroughly, you eliminate these temptations. The very act of keeping your garage clean will discourage wildlife from wanting to spend time in it. If you are busy in the garage on a frequent basis, critters will think twice about setting up housekeeping there.
5. You’ll Be Able To See The Potential In Your Garage
Once you get all the odds and ends out of the way, you may find yourself inspired to do a lot more with your garage than you had initially imagined. Garage cleaning projects you may wish to tackle include:
- Removing Epoxy paint stains from your garage floor
- Removing old paint stains from your garage floor
- Thoroughly cleaning your concrete garage floor
- Cleaning your garage floor at the end of winter
- Keeping garbage cans odor free in your garage
- Cleaning up oil stains from your garage floor
- Removing spray paint from your garage door
- Keeping your garage floor clean day-to-day
- Cleaning up after your dog in your garage
- Cleaning up spilled gasoline in the garage
- Getting smoky smells out of your garage
- Thoroughly cleaning your garage door
- Cleaning your garage door windows
- Decluttering your garage
- Deodorizing your garage
An empty garage gives you a blank creative slate!
6. A Clean Garage Improves Your Home’s Curb Appeal
If your garage door opens in the front of your house, a cluttered garage can really bring down the value and attractiveness of your home. It may also cause your neighbors to be rather irate. Keeping a clean garage is a sensible and neighborly thing to do!