Flies in the garage are the worst, aren’t they? They’re not only irritating, but they can also be pretty dirty and can carry germs.
Want to know how to keep flies out of the garage, for good? Then read on!
What You'll Learn Today
- What Causes Flies In The Garage?
- How Do I Get Rid Of Flies In My Garage Fast?
- How To Get Rid Of Cluster Flies In Garage?
- What Scent Keeps Flies Away?
- Home Remedies For Flies In Garage
- Final Words
What Causes Flies In The Garage?
Generally, flies exist where there is a food source. They need to eat to breed and to survive, so you won’t generally find flies where there is nothing for them to eat.
This being said, flies like safe, warm places to breed and thrive, and there aren’t many of their natural predators in a garage, so they may well enjoy the environment!
Where there is one fly, there are probably many more, so if you have spotted one then chances are the you will hear the buzzing of little fly babies any day now.
If you have any food lying around in your garage, this will attract flies, so making sure your surfaces are clean is your first priority!
How Do I Get Rid Of Flies In My Garage Fast?
- An advice that works for mice and most other pests – get rid of any food sources. Flies love rotting meat, sugary substances, fruits – and just about any other food you can imagine!
- Keep any food bins or storage containers well sealed from the air and any flying intruders.
- Make sure that no small dead creatures are in your garage – if a rat or a mouse or other small creature has perished in there, you can guarantee that a fly will be in there somewhere.
- Keep the bins elsewhere. Flies love rotting food and refuse, so if your bins are a bit smelly then you might be unwittingly breeding flies!
- Keep the garage clean. Making sure there are no little hidey holes that flies and their larvae can get into will help control any infestation.
- Take action at the first sign of an infestation. If you start to notice a few flies about the place, they WILL breed, so get rid of them as soon as you can.
Take a look at this article for useful hints and tips on how to get rid of flies.
How To Get Rid Of Cluster Flies In Garage?
Cluster flies are small, irritating pests that will invade any space where they find an opening – the trick is to prevent them finding an opening!
- Cluster flies don’t like the smell of Citronella, like many other insects. Try spraying it about the place, or leaving an oil burner or a candle in the garage.
- You can also try smoke bombs and foggers, but remember that these should be used by professionals, because of the chemicals involved.
- It is also possible to get rid of your cluster flies by simply vacuuming them up – this may seem pretty cruel, but remember how much you don’t want them in your garage!
- Electric fly killers are also a good option for these irritating little critters; you just need an electric source and you’re away.
- Keeping everything clean and free from dirt and spilled food will also go a long way to reducing the incidence of cluster flies in your garage.
- Once you have dealt with the invasion, consider installing fly screens to keep the little midges away.
- As soon as you are sure there are no flies in your garage, consider blocking up any entry points to make sure they don’t sneak their way back in.
Here is a helpful video that deals specifically with getting rid of cluster flies:
What Scent Keeps Flies Away?
Flies are pretty gross, aren’t they? They tend to like the smell of rotting foodstuffs best, so keeping your house clean is the best deterrent. But! There are other things you can do:
Flies dislike the smell, so growing the plant in and around your house or garage will help to deter them.
Apple cider vinegar
This stuff is attractive to flies, so try making some traps using vinegar and liquid soap – combined together this will make an irresistible death trap.
Flies dislike this spice, so spread it around wherever you see them getting in and they should avoid these places.
This solution is as simple as placing a bowl of cloves in the room that you want the flies to disappear from – then watch them disappear!
There are a few smells that flies (and other insects like crickets) really hate – try spreading Lavender, Eucalyptus and Lemongrass oils around the place, and watch those flies scatter.
Home Remedies For Flies In Garage
There are a lot of things that you can do about your fly problem, and the good news is that many of these things can be made out of your store cupboard essentials!
Use dish soap and cider vinegar
Placing a tablespoon of the soap and an inch of vinegar into a dish together will attract the flies, and drown them instantly.
Make a sugar trap
Cut off the top of a 2 liter soda bottle, and fill the remaining part with a sweet liquid – sugar dissolved in water is best. The flies will be attracted to the sweet smell and drown in the fluid.
Hang bay leaves
Flies don’t like the smell of this herb, so leaving it around the place will help to deter them.
Place mint around
The strong smell of this plant will deter flies, so plant as much of it as you can, and hang bunches of the dried plant around your garage.
This plant deters a great many different types of pests, including flies, so you can plant these all around places that flies congregate.
Flies in the garage are irritating, plus they can also spread germs and cause a lot of mess and bits and pieces to tidy up.
Making sure that you can get rid of the flies, plus try to keep them out for the rest of time, is an essential part of maintaining a garage.